Library technicians and assistants typically do the following:
- Loan library materials to patrons and collect returned materials
- Sort and reshelve returned books, periodicals, and other materials
- Organize and maintain library materials
- Handle interlibrary loans
- Register new patrons and issue library cards
- Answer patrons’ questions and help them find library resources
- Maintain computer databases used to locate library materials
- Help plan and participate in special programs, such as used-book sales and outreach programs.
Library technicians and assistants are usually supervised by a librarian. Library technicians may have more responsibilities than library assistants, such as administering library programs and overseeing lower-level staff.