What is an Interior Designer?
“A Professional Interior Designer” is considered to be the same as “an Interior Designer” on sokanu. View original.
Table of Contents
An interior designer is someone who works with a client to create aesthetic rooms and spaces. Clients range from homeowners to large corporations. The spaces and rooms interior designers create are equally varied, ranging from simple indoor and outdoor home environments to hotel lobbies and lavish mansions. No matter the size, every interior designer works to create spaces that are attractive yet functional. Spaces must also be safe while meeting the specific needs of the client.
An interior designer is typically an independent contractor who must build a client base. In some instances, a designer will work for a larger firm. In either case, he or she must excel in order to build a positive reputation in the industry and secure future work.
What does an Interior Designer do?
An interior designer creates indoor spaces that satisfy the client's needs for aesthetics, safety and function. Through the use of furniture placement, colour palettes, decorations and functional decor, he or she will create kitchens that are beautiful yet functional and theatre entrances that convey the excitement of a blockbuster film while ensuring crowd safety. Elements such as artwork, lighting, window treatments and flooring must work together to contribute to an overall look that will satisfy the client's needs.
An interior designer may specialize in commercial or residential design or be involved in both. Two new and emerging areas of interior design are green design and ergonomic design. In ergonomic design, designers work to create spaces, especially work environments, that contribute to good posture for employees confined to offices for most of the day. For labourers, designers create spaces and work areas that will result in reduced muscle strain. Green design incorporates the use of renewable, recycled or energy-efficient elements to create a more environmentally friendly space.
Find your perfect career
Would you make a good interior designer? Sokanu's free assessment reveals how compatible you are with a career across 5 dimensions!
What is the workplace of an Interior Designer like?
Interior designers need to have flexible work hours and varied work environments. Schedules are often tailored to their client's needs, and interior designers usually travel to the client's home or business to discuss plans for the design of the space. After an initial consultation and a few strategizing sessions, designers visit shops to purchase furniture, artwork and supplies for creating the desired space.
Most interior designers also rent or own office space, with meeting rooms for client and design team interaction as well as a reception area, office, and design area for creating interior elements. While not necessary for an independent designer, an office gives clients the impression of a professional service. A positive impression can contribute to the overall success in the design business.
Chelsea Coryell's Interior Design Business Success Studio Monthly Video 1
How To Be A Successful Interior Designer
Chelsea Coryell's Interior Design Business Success Studio Monthly Video 3
Career Advice - Interior Design
Chelsea Coryell's Interior Design Business Success Studio Monthly Video 2
Best Job Ever, Emily Henderson, Interior Designer
Emily Henderson never imagined she would become an interior designer, let alone one with her own Home & Garden TV show. After winning the reality TV competition Design Star, the former prop stylist received her own show, HGTV’s Secrets from a Stylist.
Steps To Be A Professional Interior Designer
The path to becoming a certified professional interior designer requires patience, hard work, perseverance, and the passion to become one. The process is long and arduous, but for those who really love interior design both as a practice and an art form, the rewards are definitely great in the end.
A Day In The Life Of An: Interior Designer
9:00 am: Head into our boutique showroom office with a cup of tea and a morning snack. Spend the first forty five minutes surfing interior design sites for latest news and trends – I can spend hours doing this – I love the colours and shapes and textures of my job!!...
You Want To Be An Interior Designer? - 5 Important Facts to Consider Before Choosing Interior Design As Your Profession
Interior design is not about drawing pretty pictures and choosing attractive fabrics – it is about the ability to improve interior environments (commercially and residentially) not only by creating practical, personal and beautiful environments, but also by adhering to practices that protect the health, welfare and safety of their clients.
Should I Go To Interior Design School Or Be A Home Stager?
Many women approaching their 40s write to me wondering whether they should go to Interior Design School. It’s an issue I struggled with myself many times over a 20 year period.
A Day In The Life Of An Interior Designer…
Every day is a different adventure filled with store customers, clients, freight companies, vendors, manufacturers, our workroom and various craftsmen that are working on projects for us.
Collections With This Career
- Creative Careers
- ISFJ Careers
- ISFP Careers
- ESFP Careers
- Jobs for people who are interested in Beauty & Style
- Jobs for people who are interested in Personal service
- Jobs that require Innovation
- Careers for Artistic people
- Careers for Free Spirits
- Finding a job that allows creative individuals to be creative and make money at the same time can make all the difference in their lives.
- ISFJ individuals have excellent analytical abilities, great people skills, and healthy social relationships. They are meticulous to the point of perfectionism, and consistently strive to make others happy. Read More
- ISFPs have a strong aesthetic sense and seek out the beauty in their surroundings. They are artistic, and express themselves through action rather than words.
- ESFPs love people and new experiences. They are lively and fun, enjoy being the centre of attention, and relish excitement and drama in their lives.
- Discover careers for people who are interested in Beauty & Style. Read More
- Discover careers for people who are interested in Personal service. Read More
- A collection of careers that require innovation and creativity in order to be successful at. Read More
- A collection of careers perfectly suited to artistic and creative people. Read More
- You know you must pay the bills but you don’t want to live a life without adventure, constant change or new experiences. Maybe your aspirations—mixed with your aptitudes—are more suited for a bohemian career path. Read More