What is a Musician?
Table of Contents
A musician is someone who is talented and skilled in playing one or several musical instruments. A musician could also compose, conduct, sing, perform, orchestrate and arrange music in a variety of different styles. The music can be recorded in a studio or performed live.
A musician will spend a significant amount of time learning and practicing so as to become known within the music world, or to play in a band with other talented musicians. They will also prepare for auditions, attend rehearsals, and learn new pieces of music to extend their repertoire. A musician will often teach music students in order to support their career as a performer.
What does a Musician do?
A musician’s passion is to play music. Musicians may perform as solo artists, in bands, ensembles, choirs, and orchestras either in front of live audiences or in the recording studio. There are many kinds of roles that can come with being a professional musician including:
A musician’s skill can include performing, singing, composing, conducting, and arranging among a wide range of genres such as alternative, blues, rock, classical, jazz, R&B, indie, hip-hop, country, and many more. The job of a musician varies depending on the genre, circumstance, and goals of the individual. Whether it is producing albums, going on tours, or playing in local bars, the job can change at anytime. Many musicians have a second part time job to help support them in their career.
Find your perfect career
Would you make a good musician? Sokanu's free assessment reveals how compatible you are with a career across 5 dimensions!
What is the workplace of a Musician like?
The workplace of a musician can vary. They can work in a studio or play before a live audience. They may work as freelance artists or as salaried musicians for orchestras, choirs, theatres or musical bands. Many musicians also teach music to students, either in schools, colleges or universities, or one-on-one out of their home or a music store. Teaching often supplements a musician's income as a performer.
My Best Music Career Advice EVER!
Brett Dennen - Motivational Advice To Young Musicians
Music Career: Becoming a Professional Musician
Should You Consider a Career in Music?
6 Qualities That All Successful Musicians Have
Some wisdom from musician and writer Dylan Welsh.
How to Become a Professional Guitarist & Musician - Facts and Myths
A professional musician's take on the 3 biggest myths about making it in the music industry and how to overcome them.
Top 10 Mistakes People Make When Trying to Become Professional Musicians
Tom Hess is a highly successful guitar teacher, professional touring guitarist and recording artist.
What Can You Do with a Music Degree?
There are far more options for what you can do with a music degree than you probably realize. Performing and teaching are the two most common careers in music, but those don’t begin to cover what music majors can pursue once they graduate.
Music Genres List
The most comprehensive list of genres of music available on the Internet.
Taking Your Music to the Next Level: 6 Essential Strategies
Excerpt from the expanded new edition of Beyond Talent: Creating a Successful Career in Music, published by Oxford University Press.
My Ever-changing Career as a Musician
Over the last 10 years the way Cameron Mizell makes his living in music has changed dramatically. Here are his methods for making money and what he's learned along the way.
What It Really Means to Be a Working Musician
Real world advice from a professional jazz trumpet player.
Collections With This Career
- ISFP Careers
- Careers for Music Lovers
- Careers for Free Spirits
- Jobs that require Achievement/Effort
- Jobs that require Dependability
- Careers for Music majors
- Careers for Psychology majors
- careers for Dyslexics
- INFJ Careers
- Careers for Drama majors
- ISFPs have a strong aesthetic sense and seek out the beauty in their surroundings. They are artistic, and express themselves through action rather than words.
- Whether you're a music artist or more of a music appreciator, the best way to land work is to think beyond music and consider the many jobs that are required to support and promote this industry. Read More
- You know you must pay the bills but you don’t want to live a life without adventure, constant change or new experiences. Maybe your aspirations—mixed with your aptitudes—are more suited for a bohemian career path. Read More
- These careers require a high level of Achievement/Effort. Read More
- These careers require a high level of Dependability. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Music degree. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Psychology degree. Read More
- While dyslexics typically struggle with verbal information and expression, they also have abilities that allow them to thrive in certain jobs and careers. Read More
- INFJs are clever, and need to be able to exercise their insightfulness and independence, and contribute to the well-being of humanity on a personal level. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Drama degree. Read More
Find your perfect career
Activate automatic email notifications to recieve new job matches every day.