What is an Operations Manager?
Table of Contents
An operations manager has a niche in companies that offer products and services, and is responsible for the aspects of operations and production within a company. He or she oversees the production of goods in a company and does whatever is possible to increase the efficiency of the production machine of the business.
The duties of an operations manager vary depending on the organization, but generally include: managing quality assurance programs, supervising, hiring, and training other employees, monitoring existing processes and analyzing their effectiveness; and creating strategies to improve productivity and efficiency.
What does an Operations Manager do?
An operations manager fills a pivotal role in a business, government or other organization. The precise tasks of an operations manager depend in large part upon the nature and size of the company or organization, however a wide range of business and interpersonal skills are needed to succeed.
A business operations manager plans and organizes the activities of a business, government agency, and non-profit organization. Depending on the organization, business operations managers may be responsible for overseeing a variety of departments; from human resources to accounts payable. Job duties may include reviewing budgetary information, monitoring expense reports, coordinating educational assignments for staff, interpreting financial data, and performing cost-benefit analysis on internal programs.
Duties of an operations manager may include:
- Improving the operational systems, processes and policies in support of the organization's mission
- Supporting better management reporting, information flow and management, business process and organizational planning
- Playing a significant role in long-term planning, including initiatives geared towards operational excellence
- Developing individual program budgets
- Managing and increasing the effectiveness and efficiency of support services (HR, IT and Finance), through improvements to each function as well as coordination and communication between support and business functions
- Driving initiatives in the management team and organizationally that contribute to long-term operational excellence
Find your perfect career
Would you make a good operations manager? Sokanu's free assessment reveals how compatible you are with a career across 5 dimensions!
What is the workplace of an Operations Manager like?
An operations manager is integral to the stability and growth of a business. Employment can be found in just about any industry; transportation, retail, insurance, healthcare, construction, hospitality, and manufacturing to name a few.
Operations Management 101: Basic Productivity
Operations Management 101: Workflow Network Diagrams
Operations Management 101: TQM Check Sheets and Graphs in Excel
Operations Management 101: Introduction to Decision Analysis
Operations and Strategy With Nigel Slack
Operations Management Careers in Business
Collections With This Career
- Careers for Enterprising people
- Jobs for people who like Management of Material Resources
- Jobs for people who like Coordination
- Jobs for people who like Negotiation
- Jobs for people who like Management of Financial Resources
- Careers for Art History majors
- Careers for Business Management And Administration majors
- Careers for Business majors
- Careers for Communications majors
- Careers for Accounting majors
- Careers for Finance majors
- Careers for Graphic Design majors
- Jobs for people who need Good Working Conditions
- Jobs for people who like Monitoring Performance
- A collection of careers perfectly suited to enterprising, self-starting people. Read More
- Discover careers that are good for people who like Management of Material Resources. Read More
- Discover careers that are good for people who like Coordination. Read More
- Discover careers that are good for people who like Negotiation. Read More
- Discover careers that are good for people who like Management of Financial Resources. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Art History degree. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Business Management And Administration degree. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Business degree. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Communications degree. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Accounting degree. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Finance degree. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Graphic Design degree. Read More
- Discover careers for people who need Good Working Conditions. Read More
- Discover careers that are good for people who like Monitoring Performance. Read More