What is a Recreation Worker?
Table of Contents
A recreation worker designs and leads leisure activities for groups in volunteer agencies or recreation facilities, such as playgrounds, parks, camps and senior centres. They may lead activities in areas such as arts and crafts, sports, games, music, and camping. Recreation workers are employed in a variety of settings, including summer camps, recreation centres, parks, and cruise ships.
What does a Recreation Worker do?
Recreation workers may have the following duties:
- Plan and organize activities for groups or recreation centres
- Explain the rules of the activities and instruct participants
- Enforce safety rules to prevent injury
- Administer first aid if needed
- Modify activities to suit the needs of specific groups, such as seniors
- Keep the equipment used in activities organized
The specific responsibilities of recreation workers vary greatly with their job title, their level of training, or the jurisdiction in which they work.
Find your perfect career
Would you make a good recreation worker? Sokanu's free assessment reveals how compatible you are with a career across 5 dimensions!
What is the workplace of a Recreation Worker like?
Recreation workers are employed in a variety of settings, including summer camps, recreation centres, parks, and cruise ships. Many workers spend much of their time outdoors. Recreation directors and supervisors, however, typically spend most of their time in an office, planning programs and special events.