What is an Advertising Manager?
Table of Contents
An advertising manager is someone who plans and directs the promotional and advertising campaigns of companies in order to generate interest in a product or service. They work with art directors, sales agents, and financial staff members in order to develop and execute these campaigns, and will often act as liaisons between agencies and clients.
What does an Advertising Manager do?
An advertising manager will typically do the following:
- Work with department heads or staff to discuss topics such as contracts, selection of advertising media, or products to be advertised
- Gather and organize information to plan advertising campaigns
- Plan the advertising, including which media to advertise in, such as radio, television, print, online, and billboards
- Negotiate advertising contracts
- Inspect layouts, which are sketches or plans for an advertisement
- Initiate market research studies and analyze their findings
- Develop pricing strategies for products to be marketed, balancing the goals of a firm with customer satisfaction
- Meet with clients to provide marketing or technical advice
- Direct the hiring of advertising, promotions, and marketing staff and oversee their daily activities
An advertising manager creates interest among potential buyers of a product or service for a department, for an entire organization, or on a project basis (account). They work in advertising agencies that put together advertising campaigns for clients, in media firms that sell advertising space or time, and in organizations that advertise heavily. They work with sales staff and others to generate ideas for an advertising campaign and oversee the staff that develops the advertising. They work with the finance department to prepare a budget and cost estimates for the advertising campaign.
Often, an advertising manager serves as a liaison between the client requiring the advertising and an advertising or promotion agency that develops and places the ads. In larger organizations with an extensive advertising department, different advertising managers may oversee in-house accounts and creative and media services departments.
Find your perfect career
Would you make a good advertising manager? Sokanu's free assessment reveals how compatible you are with a career across 5 dimensions!
What is the workplace of an Advertising Manager like?
An advertising manager typically works in an office. Advertising jobs are usually stressful, particularly near deadlines. They may travel to meet with clients or representatives of communications media.
Advertising Manager: Job Description & Career Requirements
Read about a career in advertising management. Research the educational and skill requirements, and learn about the job description and employment and salary outlook for an advertising manager.
A day in the life of Sophie Adams, Advertising Manager
A typical day in my job is creating relationships with my clients, making advertising revenue and meeting with clients to understand what they are doing with current advertising plans and how my magazine can help promote what they need.
Collections With This Career
- Careers for Enterprising people
- Jobs that require Initiative
- Jobs for people who like Time Management
- Jobs for people who are interested in Business
- Jobs for people who are interested in Sales
- Careers for Communications majors
- Careers for Foreign Language Studies majors
- Highest Paying Jobs For Creative Thinkers
- Jobs that require Innovation
- Highest Paid Jobs Involving Innovation
- Highest Paying Jobs For Artistic People
- Careers for Marketing And Marketing Research majors
- Highest Paying Jobs For Enterprising People
- ENFP Careers
- Careers for Advertising majors
- Discover careers for Enterprising people. Read More
- These careers require a high level of Initiative. Read More
- Discover careers that are good for people who like Time Management. Read More
- Discover careers for people who are interested in Business. Read More
- Discover careers for people who are interested in Sales. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Communications degree. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Foreign Language Studies degree. Read More
- Think outside the box and make a lot of money. These are the highest paid jobs for creative thinkers. Read More
- These careers require a high level of Innovation. Read More
- Innovation isn't for the faint-hearted, but big rewards require big risks. These careers offer some very high paying jobs. Read More
- Discover the highest paying jobs for people that have an artistic flair. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Marketing And Marketing Research degree. Read More
- Discover the highest paying jobs for enterprising individuals. Read More
- Charming, independent, energetic and compassionate, the ENFP will spend a lot of time exploring what's right for them. When they finally find their place in the world, they are likely to produce amazing results. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Advertising degree. Read More
Find your perfect career
Activate automatic email notifications to recieve new job matches every day.