What is an Agrologist?
Table of Contents
Professional agrologists are guided by a code of ethics to ensure that Canada’s agricultural and health products are of the utmost quality. The term agrologist is most often used in Canada, and the term agronomist is used in the United States. The profession of agrology focuses on science as it applies directly or indirectly to the management of resources, food production systems, food security & safety, and environmental quality.
How to Become an Agrologist
What does an Agrologist do?
An agrologist is responsible for providing service and advice to services related to environmental and agricultural science. They also apply scientific principles to production, cultivation, and utilization of plants and animals. In basic terms, an agrologist’s job is to ensure that Canada’s grown food and the land it is grown on is well cared for.
Some tasks of an agrologist might include:
- performing pest control with biological control
- managing and evaluating rangeland
- performing environmental assessments
- giving presentations to universities, conferences, and seminars about agrology findings and research
- promoting sustainable development of agricultural resources
- overseeing food safety programs
- creating and distributing information and advice for the public about agro-business and food industries
- managing government programs and making recommendations regarding agricultural policies
- ensuring seeds meet internal and external quality requirements for sale
Find your perfect career
Would you make a good agrologist? Sokanu's free assessment reveals how compatible you are with a career across 5 dimensions!Take the free career test
How to Become an Agrologist
Because there are a number of agrologist designations, each one has its own specific educational requirements, though almost all professional agrologists are certified through a self-regulatory organization that differs depending on the province. Generally, a student is required to complete a four year honours degree related to agricultural sciences. They must also complete an apprenticeship with a certified agrologist where they will get hands-on experience working in the field.
Another great way for students to gain experience while attending school is to work with professors on research projects, or get a summer job in agriculture or environmental science. Students will gain valuable knowledge before they’ve started the work.
What is the workplace of an Agrologist like?
An agrologist can work in a variety of settings. It may be in the field, in an office, or in a manufacturing facility. They typically work 40 hours a week Monday to Friday. Some may also spend quite a bit of time travelling for field visits or lectures. Some seasons may also be busier than others.