What is a Digital Marketing Specialist?
Table of Contents
Traditional advertising is no longer as effective as it used to be. Companies must now provide meaningful content to consumers and allow themselves to be found quickly and easily online. A digital marketing specialist is someone who works alongside a company's marketing team to identify a target market, create a brand image, and create and maintain a marketing campaign for the internet and for digital technologies.
Marketing specialists can choose to specialize in certain areas, such as search engine optimization (SEO), paid search (PPC), display media, social media and shopping feeds. Additionally, they can have a more general digital marketing expertise and can still be referred to as a digital marketing specialist.
What does a Digital Marketing Specialist do?
The digital marketing specialist role has similar objectives and goals as a marketing professional – to increase brand awareness, promote company products or services and to drive prospects to conversions. Unlike using the more traditional marketing channels, digital marketers effectively communicate through appropriate technology platforms.
Digital marketing specialists work to initiate effective marketing campaigns online, and to translate business goals into successful marketing campaigns. They are adept at evaluating the needs of the consumer market, and will understand how and where to acquire knowledge about consumer trends and demands.
Digital marketing specialists are responsible for developing the strategy used in marketing a company's product online. This is done by putting together various online promotions and e-mailing campaigns to get their company's message out, and also by performing consumer research to discover other ways of reaching customers by way of the Internet.
List of key skills needed to be a digital marketing specialist:
- Knowing the basics of marketing
- Knowing how to plan and having the ability to manage time
- Having creative and good presentation skills
- Knowledge in key areas of marketing (SEO, social media, content marketing, email marketing, PPC and SEM)
- Know how to plan, create and implement a marketing strategy
- Understand the key measurement tools available
- Developing social presence and advocating brands effectively
- Stay current in marketing trends and news e.g. Google updates and changes in algorithms
Find your perfect career
Would you make a good digital marketing specialist? Sokanu's free assessment reveals how compatible you are with a career across 5 dimensions!
How to become a Digital Marketing Specialist
The typical educational requirement for digital marketing specialists is a bachelor's degree in an area related to marketing, communications, or graphic design. Employers typically seek workers with at least two years of marketing-related experience and extensive experience in website design, programming, and related skills as well as certifications in Google AdWords and Bing Ads.
Aspiring managers or directors in the digital marketing field will usually need a master's degree. Certificate programs are also available for graduates with a master's degree in general marketing.
What is the workplace of a Digital Marketing Specialist like?
Digital marketing specialists can choose to work for an agency, with an in-house team, or start their own firm. These individuals can work as digital sales executives, Internet marketing specialists, search engine optimization (SEO) marketing specialists or digital marketing directors, among other options.
Avinash Kaushik: The Art of Marketing
Interview with Avinash Kaushik, Digital Marketing Evangelist for Google
Social Media - Aiden Carroll (Senior Digital Marketing Specialist at Squared Online)
A Day in the LIfe of a Digital Marketing Specialist
With digital marketing, social media, and public relations becoming more and more important for businesses to integrate into their marketing strategies, you would think that people would finally understand what it is professionals in the communications industries actually do.
10 Tips For Aspiring Digital Marketers
Whether you're passionate about search, affiliate, social media, or another area of marketing, there are a few things you can do to prove your worthiness to prospective employers. We asked five industry insiders about their top tips for aspiring digital marketers.
4 Awe-Inspiring Digital Marketing Specialists You Simply Must Follow
We highlight the top 4 expert digital marketers you should follow, learn from and occasionally even emulate. Study their success stories and get ready to be inspired…
Security Software Developer
Information Security Manager
Information Security Director
Information Security Auditor
Computer Crime Investigator
Disaster Recovery Specialist
Computer Systems Administrator
Computer Network Architect
Collections With This Career
- Careers for Advertising majors
- Careers for Business Management And Administration majors
- Careers for Business majors
- Careers for Communications majors
- Careers for English Literature majors
- Careers for Marketing And Marketing Research majors
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Advertising degree. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Business Management And Administration degree. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Business degree. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Communications degree. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a English Literature degree. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Marketing And Marketing Research degree. Read More