What is a Forest and Conservation Worker?
Table of Contents
Forest and conservation workers measure and improve the quality of forests. Under the supervision of foresters and conservation technicians, they help to develop, maintain, and protect forests.
What does a Forest and Conservation Worker do?
Forest and conservation workers typically do the following:
- Plant seedlings to reforest land
- Clear away brush and debris from camping trails, roadsides, and camping areas
- Count trees during tree-measuring efforts
- Select or cut trees according to markings, sizes, types, or grades
- Spray trees with insecticides and fungicides to kill insects and protect the trees from disease
- Identify and remove diseased or undesirable trees
- Inject vegetation with insecticides and herbicides
- Help prevent and suppress forest fires
- Check equipment to ensure that it is operating properly
Find your perfect career
Would you make a good forest and conservation worker? Sokanu's free assessment reveals how compatible you are with a career across 5 dimensions!
What is the workplace of a Forest and Conservation Worker like?
Forest and conservation workers typically work outdoors, sometimes in remote locations and in all types of weather. However, the increased use of machines has reduced some of the discomfort of working in bad weather and has made tasks much safer. Forest workers use proper safety measures and equipment, such as hardhats, protective eyewear, and safety clothing. They typically work for provincial, state, or local governments or on privately owned forest lands. Those employed by forest management services may work for the federal government on a contract basis.
Most forest and conservation workers’ jobs are physically demanding. They may have to walk long distances through densely wooded areas. Most are employed full time and have a routine work schedule. Seasonal employees may be expected to work longer hours and at night. Responding to an emergency may require workers to work longer hours and at any time of day.
Collections With This Career
- Jobs for people who are interested in Green Industry
- Careers for Realistic people
- Jobs for people who like Management of Material Resources
- Discover careers for people who are interested in Green Industry. Read More
- Examples of Realistic careers, occupations that match Holland's Realistic personality type. Read More
- Discover careers that are good for people who like Management of Material Resources. Read More