What is a Project Manager?
Also known as: Project Coordinator.
Table of Contents
A project manager is a motivated and effective leader who is accountable for the success or failure of a project. Project managers are multitaskers, have great time management and organization skills, are fantastic communicators, and are trusted and reliable. They do not carry out all the work themselves, but have project teams that work under them and make sure all the objectives of the project are carried out. However, if there are things that veer off track or are mismanaged, the project manager is always ultimately accountable.
What does a Project Manager do?
A project manager works on specific projects that have schedules, timelines and budgets that need to be met. There are quite a few things that a project manager does throughout the project, such as:
Planning and Defining the Project:
- plan what work needs to be done by building a comprehensive work plan
- figure out who's going to do the work and when
- look at any risks that may be involved and try to avoid or manage them ahead of time
Executing and Managing:
- make sure that all work being done is to the right standard
- manage and keep the budget at the forefront throughout the project
- make sure that the project is running on time
- motivate team members involved in the project
- remove any obstacles that get in the way of productivity
- coordinate work done by different groups of people
- deal with any changes that come along and be willing to adapt if necessary
- manage all teams involved and maintain a constant level of commitment
Delivering and Closing:
- manage the project to the budget right through to completion
- manage and deliver expectations to stakeholders
- communicate project status to stakeholders and resolve unexpected difficulties
- show management that the project has kept to initial business goals
- make sure the project delivers all expected outcomes and whatever benefits were initially outlined
Finally, a good project manager is upbeat and optimistic. They are honest communicators, and are liked and trusted by upper management. Even when there are times of trouble, retaining the confidence of stakeholders by communicating credible strategies for recovery is crucial.
Find your perfect career
Would you make a good project manager? Sokanu's free assessment reveals how compatible you are with a career across 5 dimensions!
What is the workplace of a Project Manager like?
Good vs Bad Project Managers
Project Management Career Tips - Education
IT Project Manager, Career Video from drkit.org
How To Get Into Project Management
Construction Project Manager
Introduction to Project Management
Project management in the modern sense began in the early 1950s, although it has its roots further back in the latter years of the 19th century.
Do You Have What It Takes to be a Project Manager?
Although every project is different, each requires a planned, organized approach. Do you have what it takes to be a project manager?
Role of the Project Manager
The project manager's role in a nutshell, is the overall responsibility for the successful planning, execution, monitoring, control and closure of a project.
Collections With This Career
- ENTJ Careers
- Careers for Economics majors
- Jobs for people who are interested in Technical Writing
- Careers for Business Management And Administration majors
- Careers for Computer Science majors
- Jobs that require Leadership
- Careers for Liberal Arts majors
- Careers for Music majors
- Careers for Psychology majors
- Careers for International Business majors
- Careers for Business Economics majors
- Careers for Political Science majors
- Careers for Extroverts
- ENTJs are natural born leaders, possessing charisma and confidence and projecting authority in a way that draws people together behind a common goal.
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Economics degree. Read More
- Discover careers for people who are interested in Technical Writing. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Business Management And Administration degree. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Computer Science degree. Read More
- A collection of careers that require strong leadership skills in order to be successful at. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Liberal Arts degree. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Music degree. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Psychology degree. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a International Business degree. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Business Economics degree. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Political Science degree. Read More
- Outgoing and extroverted jobs best suit people who aren’t afraid to put themselves forward, speak up and stand out from the crowd.