What is a Securities and Commodities Broker?
Table of Contents
A securities and commodities broker is someone who connects buyers and sellers in financial markets. They sell securities to individuals, advise companies that are in search of investors, and conduct trades.
What does a Securities and Commodities Broker do?
Securities and commodities brokers typically:
- Contact prospective clients to present information and explain available services
- Offer advice on the purchase or sale of particular securities
- Buy and sell securities, such as stocks and bonds
- Buy and sell commodities, such as corn, oil, and gold
- Monitor financial markets and the performance of individual securities
- Analyze company finances to provide recommendations for public offerings, mergers, and acquisitions
- Evaluate cost and revenue of agreements
Securities and commodities brokers deal with a wide range of products and clients. Agents spend much of the day interacting with people, whether selling stock to an individual or discussing the status of a merger deal with a company executive. The work is usually stressful because agents deal with large amounts of money and have time constraints.
Find your perfect career
Would you make a good securities and commodities broker? Sokanu's free assessment reveals how compatible you are with a career across 5 dimensions!
What is the workplace of a Securities and Commodities Broker like?
Most securities and commodities brokers work long hours under stressful conditions. The pace of work is fast, and managers are usually demanding of their workers, because both commissions and advancements are tied to sales. In addition, they may work evenings and weekends because many of their clients work during the day.
Collections With This Career
- Jobs for people who like Persuasion
- Jobs for people who are interested in Finance
- Jobs for people who are interested in Professional Advising
- Careers for Business Economics majors
- Discover careers that are good for people who like Persuasion. Read More
- Discover careers for people who are interested in Finance. Read More
- Discover careers for people who are interested in Professional Advising. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Business Economics degree. Read More