What is a Fundraising Manager?
Table of Contents
A fundraising manager is someone who manages the fundraising department for an organization or nonprofit entity. He or she is responsible for overseeing all the fundraising functions of the department. Responsibilities include managing the budget, managing workers or volunteers, organizing events, developing donors, and grant writing. These managers must create effective strategies for maximizing donations.
What does a Fundraising Manager do?
Fundraising managers are the driving force behind fundraising efforts. They oversee the workforce of paid or volunteer individuals and must keep them on task. They create, teach, lead, and manage the people responsible for bringing in the donations. Without their expertise and efforts a company will not have the funds to continue with their work.
Some duties of a fundraising manager:
- develop goals and a plan for raising money
- refine that plan to adopt strategies and campaigns that reflect the ideals of the company
- identify and explore donor pools
- personally handle VIP donors
- write grant proposals and manage endowments
- plan and manage marketing efforts like direct mail campaigns
- plan fundraising events such as dinners, receptions, and parties
- develop alliances with other organizations
- work collaboratively to enhance fundraising efforts
- keep in contact with the CEO and board, apprising them of fundraising successes
The ability to be an effective fundraiser is what makes a manager successful. Having the best organizing and managing skills mean nothing if, at the end of the day, there is no money raised. Creating new and innovative plans is crucial to be successful in fundraising. Managers must also be able to adapt and change strategies to meet the needs of their donor pools and keep the donations coming.
Fundraisers need to be comfortable dealing with the public. They must enjoy public speaking, should be extroverted, and enjoy attending events and galas. Moreover, they must be able to communicate effectively and eloquently and be up to date on social, political, and newsworthy topics in order to engage in meaningful conversation with potential donors.
Find your perfect career
Would you make a good fundraising manager? Sokanu's free assessment reveals how compatible you are with a career across 5 dimensions!
What is the workplace of a Fundraising Manager like?
Fundraising managers typically need a private office space, a team meeting space, and somewhere for team members to do independent work. Depending on the size of the organization, office space can range from luxurious to something more basic. Larger, well-established companies and organizations usually have more funds for office space.
Successful managers spend a lot of their time going from meeting to meeting and event to event. They make public appearances, give presentations, meet with printers, and arrange events. They use portable electronic devices such as smartphones, tablets, and netbooks to stay in touch and on top of what is going on within the team.
Collections With This Career
- Highest Paying Jobs For Enterprising People
- Jobs for people who like Speaking
- Highest Paid Jobs Involving Innovation
- Jobs for people who like Management of Financial Resources
- Jobs for people who like Writing
- Jobs for people who like Social Perceptiveness
- Careers for Enterprising people
- Jobs for people who need Good Working Conditions
- Careers for Political Science majors
- Careers for International Relations majors
- Discover the highest paying jobs for enterprising individuals. Read More
- Discover careers that are good for people who like Speaking. Read More
- Innovation isn't for the faint-hearted, but big rewards require big risks. These careers offer some very high paying jobs. Read More
- Discover careers that are good for people who like Management of Financial Resources. Read More
- Discover careers that are good for people who like Writing. Read More
- Discover careers that are good for people who like Social Perceptiveness. Read More
- A collection of careers perfectly suited to enterprising, self-starting people. Read More
- Discover careers for people who need Good Working Conditions. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Political Science degree. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a International Relations degree. Read More