What is a Multimedia Animator?
Also known as: Multimedia Artist.
Table of Contents
A multimedia animator creates animation and visual effects for television, movies, video games, and other media. They create two- and three-dimensional models and animation. Although most multimedia artists are self-employed, some work directly for the motion picture and video industry. They often work long hours, especially when facing deadlines.
What does a Multimedia Animator do?
Multimedia animators typically do the following:
- Create graphics and animation using computer programs and illustration
- Work with a team of animators and artists to create a movie, game, or visual effect
- Research upcoming projects to help create a realistic design or animation
- Develop storyboards that map out key scenes in the animation
- Edit animation and effects based on feedback from directors, head animators, game designers, or clients
- Meet with clients, head animators, games designers, and directors to review deadlines and development timelines
Multimedia animators often work within a specific type of animation. Some focus on creating animated movies or video games. Others create visual effects for movies and television shows. Visual effects, also called computer-generated images (or CGI), include creating animation from images of actors performing, or designing scenery or backgrounds for locations. Animators can further specialize within these fields. Within animated movies and video games, artists often specialize in characters or scenery and background design. Video game artists may focus on ‘level design’; creating the look, feel, and layout for the levels of a video game.
Usually, multimedia animators work in teams to develop a movie, visual effect, or electronic game. Each animator works on a portion of the project, eventually the pieces come together to create one cohesive animation.
Some multimedia animators create their work primarily using computer software or by writing their own computer code. Many animation companies have their own computer animation software that artists must learn to use. Other animators prefer to work by drawing and painting by hand and then translating that work into computer programs. Some multimedia artists use storyboards, which look like a comic strip, to help visualize the final product during the design process.
Find your perfect career
Would you make a good multimedia animator? Sokanu's free assessment reveals how compatible you are with a career across 5 dimensions!
What is the workplace of a Multimedia Animator like?
Multimedia animators often work from home. Some work in motion picture or video game studios. They often work long hours; it is not unusual for them to work 50-hour weeks, particularly when there are tight deadlines. When deadlines are approaching, they may work nights and weekends as well. Animators need to be able to keep up with the long hours and challenging work.
Multimedia Artists And Animators
Day in The Life: Flash Animator
John Lasseter - A Day In A Life - Full Length Documentary
Imagine - From Pencils To Pixels (2003)
A Day In The Life: Senior Animator
Occupational Video - Computer Animator
Animation Careers : Career Options For Animators
Multimedia Artist Or Animator
Artists create art to communicate ideas, thoughts, or feelings. They use a variety of methods—painting, sculpting, or illustration—and an assortment of materials, including oils, watercolors, acrylics, pastels, pencils, pen and ink, plaster, clay, and computers.
Multi-Media Artists And Animators Overview
Usually multi-media artists and animators earn a bachelor’s degree or other art or design postsecondary degree. Competition is usually tough for jobs in the field as it attracts a large number of creative and talented individuals.
An animator creates a large series of images that form the animation seen in movies, commercials, television programs or video games.
The Pros & Cons Of Being An Animator
There are costs and benefits associated with any occupation. Weighing advantages and disadvantages is a personal choice as people place different weight on individual factors. While salary may be the most important factor to one person, a flexible schedule may be most important to another.
Biggest Animation Studios To Work For
Animation has become a huge part of western society, and really all over the world. There are hundreds upon hundreds of animation studios out there, but there are only a couple handful that have really been game changers in the industry.
Ten Great Animation Jobs
A lot of companies offer jobs to people who are known as animators. If interested in animation, it is important to know about these ten great jobs in animation...
Collections With This Career
- Creative Careers
- CTE Careers
- Careers for Artistic people
- Careers for Fine Arts majors
- Finding a job that allows creative individuals to be creative and make money at the same time can make all the difference in their lives.
- Career Technical Education (CTE) is preparing students of all ages to help drive America’s success and vitality, providing students with the academic and technical skills, knowledge and training necessary to succeed in future careers and to become lifelong learners.
- A collection of careers perfectly suited to artistic and creative people. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Fine Arts degree. Read More