What is a Sports Medicine Physician?
A Sports Medicine Physician is a specialized type of Doctor. Also known as: Sports Medical Professional, Sports Doctor, Sports Medicine Doctor, Team Physician, Head Team Physician, Athletic Team Physician.
Table of Contents
A sports medicine physician is a doctor who specializes in taking care of people who have sports injuries. Sports injuries are injuries that people acquire from playing sports, exercising, or from otherwise being physically active. For example, when an athlete sprains their ankle during a game, they will go see a sports medicine physician.
Sports medicine has been a growing field since the 1970s, with a higher demand for its services each passing year. As more and more people are becoming involved in sports and receiving sports injuries, there is a greater demand for doctors with this specialization. Many athletes do not want to stop playing while they are injured. Sports doctors and sports therapists are able to guide these athletes on how they can still participate in sports while recovering from their injuries.
What does a Sports Medicine Physician do?
Sports medicine physicians take care of people who have sports injuries. These individuals may be athletes, or they may be regular people. One does not have to be an athlete or even play a sport to have a sports injury. Someone running down the street who trips and sprains their knee is considered to have a sports injury, even if they are not an athlete and were not participating in running as a sport.
Sports doctors will care for the injury, as well as explain how to properly care for the injury while still being active. Additionally, in combination with a sports physical therapist, they will help the person in question return to health and be properly rehabilitated from their injury. Sports medicine physicians will see both adults and children, as well as people of both genders.
Find your perfect career
Would you make a good sports medicine physician? Sokanu's free assessment reveals how compatible you are with a career across 5 dimensions!
What is the workplace of a Sports Medicine Physician like?
Most sports medicine physicians have their own private practice where they see patients and work with nurses, office assistants, and other personnel. Some physicians choose to partner with other doctors to create a joint practice, while others work under other doctors. Some are employed by hospitals. Others are employed by universities as either medical professionals, professors, or researchers. Some find employment with professional sports teams.
Most sports medicine physicians say they are fulfilled by their work. They also report that their offices are comfortable, they enjoy their interactions with their coworkers, and they do not feel stressed most of the time. In fact, sports medicine physicians are considered to be the least stressed out of any type of specialist physician.
Collections With This Career
- Highest Paying Sports Careers
- Highest Paying Jobs For Social People
- Jobs for people who like Reading Comprehension
- Jobs for people who like Monitoring Performance
- Jobs for people who are interested in Athletics
- Jobs that require Concern for Others
- Jobs for people who need Recognition
- Jobs for people who need Good Working Conditions
- Hey there, sports fans. Here's a list of the highest paying jobs in the sports world. Read More
- These are the careers with the highest paying jobs for social individuals who like being around other people. Read More
- Discover careers that are good for people who like Reading Comprehension. Read More
- Discover careers that are good for people who like Monitoring Performance. Read More
- Discover careers for people who are interested in Athletics. Read More
- These careers require a high level of Concern for Others. Read More
- Discover careers for people who need Recognition. Read More
- Discover careers for people who need Good Working Conditions. Read More