What is a Surgeon?
Table of Contents
Surgery is a medical treatment that involves the cutting of a body, whether that of a human or an animal, in order to repair and diagnose internal problems. A surgeon is the physician who cuts the human body for the purpose of removing diseased tissue or organs, to repair body systems, or to replace diseased organs with transplants.
Surgeons can be general surgeons and perform all types of surgery, or they can be specialized, such as heart surgeons or brain surgeons. Surgeons may be physicians, dentists, podiatrists or veterinarians.
What does a Surgeon do?
Surgeons operate on the human body in the event of illness, injury, or disease. Sometimes surgeries are performed to correct problems in the body or to explore a cause of internal bleeding. Surgeons can perform any number of different surgical procedures on the body.
Surgery involves the cutting into the body to repair, replace, or diagnose disease. Surgeons carry out the procedures and are in charge of all aspects of the surgery process. They oversee the surgical technicians and they assistant in the operating room to be sure that all standards of care and safety are followed.
Surgeons perform invasive surgeries and minimally invasive procedures. They perform surgeries that last minutes or hours. Some surgical procedures are quite extensive and tedious, while others are small procedures that require little surgery procedure.
Areas that surgeons can work in include:
Surgeons who specialize in a particular area of study perform only that type of surgery. A specialist often has many years of experience performing a certain type of surgery and they choose to limit their career to that particular type.
It is important that the surgeon fully understand all of the aspects of the tools used when performing surgery. Since human life is at risk, they must be alert and on guard at all times. Surgeons must be prepared for all types of emergency situations and be able to carry out lifesaving initiatives at any time during an operation.
Surgeons work with all types of tools, from scalpels to calipers. They have various types of tools available to them to perform surgeries on patients. This job also requires that the surgeons oversee the administration of medications as needed throughout the surgery. A surgeon must be knowledgeable of the various types of medications used and the potential reactions when he or she operates on a patient.
Find your perfect career
Would you make a good surgeon? Sokanu's free assessment reveals how compatible you are with a career across 5 dimensions!
What is the workplace of a Surgeon like?
The workplace of surgeons is primarily in the operating room. They also meet with patients in an office and in their hospital rooms as well. Surgeons are on their feet for many hours at a time. A day often begins very early in the morning performing surgeries. They may have rounds that are done in the evening where they go around and check on their patients.
Emergency surgeries do happen, so surgeons are often on call even on their scheduled days off. The life of a surgeon is often very tiring with little personal time. Surgeons often forgo their own personal and family life for the satisfaction of helping their patients.
A Week In The Life Of Dr. Sherif Emil At The Montreal Children's Hospital
Surgeons Careers Overview
Dr James Daniels, General Surgeon
Surgery Live! - Introduction To Careers In Medicine
A Day In The Life Of A Surgeon
Dr. Steven Louis: Qualities Of A Good Trauma Surgeon
What Kind Of Surgeon Do I Want To Be?
There are nine recognised specialties within surgery, each of which will provide you with different challenges and rewards throughout your career...
Surgeon Career Profile - Overview Of Surgeons' Careers And Surgery Jobs
Some surgeons are specialized and fellowship-trained in a particular type of surgery, while other surgeons, called “general surgeons” are broader in scope but do not perform highly specialized types of surgery such as brain or heart surgeries.
What Does A General Surgeon Do?
General surgeons are more common than any other surgical specialty except obstetrics and gynecology. One in five practicing physicians in the United States is a surgeon, and general surgeons are one of the largest surgical specialties.
A Day In The Life Of A Surgery Resident
4:45 am My alarm has just gone off which means I’ve got 30 minutes to take a shower, get ready because I’m on the Vascular Surgery service. I do all of that and grab my bag with some reading material for later and head up to the hospital...
A Day In The Life Of A Trauma Surgeon: Douglas Schuerer, MD
Schuerer’s certainty about his career path is indicative of his demeanor as a trauma surgeon in one of the country’s top academic medical centers. His trauma team describes him as consistent, specific and efficient.
A Day In The Life Of ... A Consultant Cardiac Surgeon
Samer Nashef's day starts at 5:30 when he has two black coffees while listening to the radio. He shares how the rest of an average working day plays out for him.
Collections With This Career
- Highest Paying Health Jobs
- Highest Paying Jobs For Investigative People
- Jobs that require Work Style Combining Accepting Criticism with Stress Tolerance
- Jobs that require Initiative
- Jobs that require Attention to Detail
- Jobs for people who need Achievement
- Jobs for people who need Recognition
- Jobs for people who need Good Working Conditions
- Jobs for people who like Judgment and Decision Making
- Careers in the field of health pay very well. In fact, most of the highest paying jobs in the world are related to health. Read More
- These are the careers with the highest paying jobs for investigative people with bright minds. Read More
- These careers require a high level of Work Style Combining Accepting Criticism with Stress Tolerance. Read More
- A collection of careers that require initiative and dedication in order to be successful at. Read More
- These careers require a high level of Attention to Detail. Read More
- A collection of careers for people who need to feel a sense of a achievement from their work. Read More
- A collection of careers perfectly suited to people who like being recognized for the work they do. Read More
- Discover careers for people who need Good Working Conditions. Read More
- Discover careers that are good for people who like Judgment and Decision Making. Read More