What is an Author?
Table of Contents
An author is someone who loves to think creatively, loves language, and loves the art of writing. His or her focus is to produce well-crafted pieces of work for us to read and enjoy. An author will work closely with words and use the fundamentals of language to evoke our imagination, educate us, and hold our interest.
There are many different types of authors; novelists, poets, journalists, screenwriters, playwrights, copywriters, and so on. There are also many genres of writing; academic, creative, business, professional, and journalistic. For as many different types of books and published writings there are in the world, there are as many different types of authors that write them.
What does an Author do?
Authors use their voice in the form of text to express ideas, thoughts, images and information. There are various types of writers and many paths to choose from. Here are just a few:
Story Writer -
is someone that is typically a freelancer and specializes in writing short fiction stories for a variety of magazines. Many well-known authors started out as story writers.
Author (or Novelist) -
is someone who writes long stories. Depending on the genre, a fiction book can have between 80,000 to 200,000 words, so this type of writer needs to be able to plan and execute his work. This requires dedication and patience.
Non-Fiction Writer -
is someone who writes in a specialized field. This may include technical writers and academic writers. They are able to take a large amount of information and break it down so it is readable text. This type of writing requires fact and research checking.
is someone whose writing is published in newspapers and magazines and read by thousands if not millions of people. This type of writer is typically a freelancer and is always working to a deadline. Quality of work is extremely important as is making a name for yourself, as this will help to earn a respectable income.
Article Writer -
is someone who writes a short piece, for example a food article or travel article. He or she will write for a variety of magazines, using crisp and concise language to make the article informative and fun to read. Having specialized knowledge is excellent, as article writers are always needed for medical, technical or commercial magazines.
Online Writer -
is someone who is typically a freelancer and writes articles or short stories for websites and blogs. The internet is a great way to provide amateur writers an outlet for their creative work, enabling them to learn and progress in their skill level as they climb upwards in their writing career.
is an anonymous writer who writes books, articles, stories and other texts that are officially credited to another person. He or she needs to keep the voice consistent with that of the official “author.” This type of writing is challenging, as there is a lot of planning, communication, re-writing and patience needed in order to satisfy the client.
is someone who writes good marketing text (or copy) in order to sell something. A good copywriter will get paid well, as good copy sells more products. The key to this type of writing is being able to garner the trust of the reader while evoking interest and enthusiasm in the product.
Business Writer -
is someone who generally writes for cutting-edge professional magazines and newspapers. Business magazines and newspapers need writers that have relevant business knowledge, excellent language skills and who are on the same, if not better level, than the reader.
is someone who writes for newspapers, magazines and newsletters. Some columnists are syndicated; their articles are seen in hundreds of newspapers, and a new article needs to be written every week.
Find your perfect career
Would you make a good author? Sokanu's free assessment reveals how compatible you are with a career across 5 dimensions!
What is the workplace of an Author like?
An author's workplace is typically any place that he/she is able to produce work. For some, that may mean a quiet desk with a computer, surrounded by books, encyclopedias, a dictionary and thesaurus. Some may find the gentle hum of conversation an easy writing background and find a coffee shop to be their place of work. The options are endless, as long as the author is able to find a comfortable place to be creative and productive.
Writers will sometimes be so tuned in to the creative moment, that they may forget to take care of their bodies. Sitting in a chair for a long period of time is hard on the back, therefore stretching, moving around, having something to eat and rehydrating are all things needed in order to refresh a writer's mind.
Writer Career Information : Writer Qualifications
Writer Career Information : Writer Pros & Cons
Writer Career Information : How To Become A Writer
Writer Career Information : Why Become A Writer?
Developing A Voice Or Style As A Writer: Creative Writing Lesson Tips 2
How To Write Fiction Stories: Creative Writing Lesson Tips 1: George Wier
Becoming A Writer - Thoughts For Students
Rick Riordan: Three Tips For Young Writers
Anne Gives Writing Advice
What You Should Know About Being A Published Author: Facts About Being An Author
Here are six common misconceptions about being a published author--better to learn about them now than to be disappointed later!
The Snowflake Method For Designing A Novel
I’ve published six novels and won about a dozen awards for my writing. I teach the craft of writing fiction at writing conferences all the time. One of my most popular lectures is this one: How to write a novel using what I call the “Snowflake Method.”
Thinking Of Writing A Book? Here's What You Need To Know
Is it true that everyone who’s sentient has a book inside waiting to be expressed? What are the best ways to crank out a book-length manuscript? And once you have, what about publishing it? What does that terrain look like?
A Day In The Life Of... An Author
Laura is the author of Burn Mark, an amazing new fantasy novel for teens from Bloomsbury.
A Day In The Life Of An Author – Real Life Case Studies
People always ask me, in between showering me with praise of course, about how an author spends their day. Just what do we get up to when everyone else is working an office job or cleaning sewers?
How writers, artists, and other interesting people organize their days.
23 Tips From Famous Writers For New And Emerging Authors
Great advice from famous writers.
Collections With This Career
- INFP Careers
- Careers For Introverts
- Jobs for people who like Writing
- Jobs for people who are interested in Creative Writing & Journalism
- Jobs that require Achievement/Effort
- Jobs that require Independence
- Jobs that require Innovation
- Jobs that require Persistence
- Jobs that require Initiative
- Careers for Artistic people
- Jobs for people who need Independence
- Careers for English Literature majors
- Careers for History majors
- Careers for English Majors
- Careers for Shy People
- Careers for Stay at Home Moms
- Careers for Writers
- Careers for Over 50
- Careers for Book Lovers
- Careers for Linguistics majors
- INFP personalities are true idealists, possessing a rosy outlook and always searching for ways to make things better.
- An introvert is a person who is energized by being alone, whose energy is drained by being around other people, and who prefers to focus on one task at a time. Read More
- Discover careers that are good for people who like Writing. Read More
- Discover careers for people who are interested in Creative Writing & Journalism. Read More
- These careers require a high level of Achievement/Effort. Read More
- These careers require a high level of Independence. Read More
- A collection of careers that require innovation and creativity in order to be successful at. Read More
- These careers require a high level of Persistence. Read More
- A collection of careers that require initiative and dedication in order to be successful at. Read More
- A collection of careers perfectly suited to artistic and creative people. Read More
- Discover careers for people who need Independence. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a English Literature degree. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a History degree. Read More
- English majors can do many different jobs, work in many industries, and find a rewarding career in an industry they may have never expected.
- If you’re shy and interested in finding a job, you should pick work where you don’t interact a lot with others.
There are several career fields and jobs with minimal human interaction. Read More
- Here are some profitable work-at-home jobs that can easily fit into a stay-at-home mom's schedule. Best of all, moms can do these jobs from the comfort of their home office and some even in their PJs.
- There are many paths to a writing career that you may not have thought of. The following list is a collection of jobs that involve writing everyday. Read More
- Workers over the age of 50 may feel that the only choice they have is to “stick it out” until retirement. Quite the opposite is true, however, and some choose to spend the remainder of their working years in a new career. Read More
- A passion for reading can translate into a career in fields that value your literary penchant. Strong language skills and a love for books lend well to many fast-growing careers. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Linguistics degree. Read More