What is a Copywriter?
Table of Contents
A copywriter is someone who works with words on a daily basis, and is an expert at adapting their writing talent to meet their client's needs. Copywriting is about being able to understand, connect and write for an audience, and is about having the flexibility and skill to alter the style of writing from client to client and from project to project. The ultimate goal of a copywriter is to influence people's behaviour through their words.
What does a Copywriter do?
A copywriter provides creative ideas or concepts, and can take the client's idea and give it substance, direction and content. They are employed by agencies on a freelance or permanent basis, and often work with art directors and as part of a creative team.
You can see a copywriter's work in a variety of areas:
Public Relations - feature articles, press kits, news releases, product updates, or any communication a business will send out to television and radio stations or newspapers for public consumption. Public relations covers any communications with clients, employees, customers or the general public.
Advertising & Marketing - ads, sales letters, trade show displays, fliers, brochures, catalogs, post cards, packaging, business plans, labels, direct mail, product literature etc.
Audiovisual & Broadcast Material - radio ads, television commercials, video scripts and audio scripts are used for fundraising, recruiting, training and teaching by organizations, the government, educators and businesses. It is not unusual for audio visuals to be directed, produced and edited by the copywriter.
Online Copy - wiki pages, websites, auto-responder messages, banner ads, video and podcast scripts, online sales pages, email marketing, product descriptions, and other content. Copywriters must understand SEO techniques.
Speech Writing - written speeches for raising funds, business functions, special events, political functions, and executive meetings. The copywriter must be able to write speeches that sell, motivate, persuade and communicate on an emotional level.
Technical Material - is usually left for those with a background in science, engineering, computer programming etc. Reports, technical papers, training manuals, instruction manuals, data sheets, and all manner of technical documentation is needed in this area.
Find your perfect career
Would you make a good copywriter? Sokanu's free assessment reveals how compatible you are with a career across 5 dimensions!
What is the workplace of a Copywriter like?
A copywriter will typically work a Monday to Friday week, although evening and weekend work is common as well. They are mainly based in a studio or office space, and may sometimes travel to visit and consult with clients.
Copywriting on Tight Deadlines
6 Copywriting Tips For Beginners
What Does a Copywriter Do?
A Day In The Life: Copywriter (Advertising)
Copywriter: Mark Davies
10 Top Tips for Being a Successful Copywriter
There's been a surge in online content, creating an unprecedented demand for copywriters.
How To Become a Copywriter
Copywriting can be extremely rewarding work. Here are our top tips for getting started.
John Kuraoka, Freelance Advertising Copywriter
There is precious little current career advice out there for aspiring advertising copywriters. Here are my recommendations, based on what worked for me.
Collections With This Career
- Jobs for people who like Writing
- Jobs for people who are interested in Creative Writing & Journalism
- Jobs for people who are interested in Technical Writing
- Jobs that require Innovation
- Careers for Advertising majors
- Careers for English Literature majors
- Careers for Liberal Arts majors
- Careers for English Majors
- Careers for Writers
- Careers for Book Lovers
- Discover careers that are good for people who like Writing. Read More
- Discover careers for people who are interested in Creative Writing & Journalism. Read More
- Discover careers for people who are interested in Technical Writing. Read More
- These careers require a high level of Innovation. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Advertising degree. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a English Literature degree. Read More
- The most common careers people pursue after attaining a Liberal Arts degree. Read More
- English majors can do many different jobs, work in many industries, and find a rewarding career in an industry they may have never expected.
- There are many paths to a writing career that you may not have thought of. The following list is a collection of jobs that involve writing everyday. Read More
- A passion for reading can translate into a career in fields that value your literary penchant. Strong language skills and a love for books lend well to many fast-growing careers. Read More
Find your perfect career
Activate automatic email notifications to recieve new job matches every day.