What is a Principal?
Table of Contents
A principal is someone who is the leader of an entire community within a school. He or she is responsible for managing the major administrative tasks and supervising all students and teachers. They are also known as head masters in some countries, as well as a few select schools in the United States.
How to Become a Principal
What does a Principal do?
There are many duties of a school principal. Some of these duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- The hiring of staff members
- Communicating with parents and faculty when necessary
- Creating policies (such as dress code)
- Planning academic calendars for the school
- Handling of student recruitment and admissions into the school
- Disciplining students when needed
- Supervising students, staff and other faculty members
- Designing creative new programs and restructuring old ones
- Handling of the schools budget
- Maintaining secure funding for the school
- Making both daily decisions as well as long-term decisions
Find your perfect career
Would you make a good principal? Sokanu's free assessment reveals how compatible you are with a career across 5 dimensions!
What is the workplace of a Principal like?
Principals can work in colleges, universities, high schools, middle schools, elementary schools, pre-schools and in daycare facilities. They usually have their own office as well as their own secretary, but can also be found working in classrooms, auditoriums and outdoors during special events.
They work long hours, often working into the evening. Principals work closely with vice-principals, teachers and other faculty with the common goal of providing a rich and safe learning environment for the students.
Elementary School Principal, Career Interview From drkit.org
How A Great Leader Motivates
What Makes A Great Principal
The Principal Story