What is a School Counselor?
Table of Contents
A school counselor is a member of the education team, and is someone who gives valuable assistance to students, helping them with their academic goals, their social and personal development, and with their career development. They work in public or private elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools.
How to Become a School Counselor
What does a School Counselor do?
School counselors typically do the following:
- Help students understand and overcome social or behavioural problems through individual and group counseling
- Provide individual and small group counseling based on student needs
- Work with students to develop skills such as organization, time management, and effective study habits
- Help students set realistic academic and career goals and develop a plan to achieve them
- Evaluate students’ abilities and interests through aptitude assessments and interviews
- Develop strategies with teachers, administrators, and parents to help students succeed
- Teach classes on topics such as bullying, drug abuse, and planning for college or careers after graduation
- Identify and report possible cases of neglect or abuse
- Refer students and parents to resources outside the school for additional support
Find your perfect career
Would you make a good school counselor? Sokanu's free assessment reveals how compatible you are with a career across 5 dimensions!
How to become a School Counselor
Most school counselors must have a master’s degree in school counseling or a related field. Programs in school counseling teach students about fostering academic development, conducting group and individual counseling, and working with parents, teachers, and other school staff. These programs often require students to gain experience through an internship or practicum.
School counselors must have approved credentials to practice. This credential can be called a certification, a license, or an endorsement, depending on the jurisdiction. Most places require a criminal background check as part of the credentialing process.
What is the workplace of a School Counselor like?
School counselors work in private and public schools at every level. They often have private offices so that they can have confidential conversations with students. School counselors generally work full time and have summers off when school is not in session.