What is a School Counselor?
Table of Contents
A school counselor is a member of the education team, and is someone who gives valuable assistance to students, helping them with their academic goals, their social and personal development, and with their career development. They work in public or private elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools.
What does a School Counselor do?
School counselors typically do the following:
- Help students understand and overcome social or behavioural problems through individual and group counseling
- Provide individual and small group counseling based on student needs
- Work with students to develop skills such as organization, time management, and effective study habits
- Help students set realistic academic and career goals and develop a plan to achieve them
- Evaluate students’ abilities and interests through aptitude assessments and interviews
- Develop strategies with teachers, administrators, and parents to help students succeed
- Teach classes on topics such as bullying, drug abuse, and planning for college or careers after graduation
- Identify and report possible cases of neglect or abuse
- Refer students and parents to resources outside the school for additional support
Find your perfect career
Would you make a good school counselor? Sokanu's free assessment reveals how compatible you are with a career across 5 dimensions!
What is the workplace of a School Counselor like?
School counselors work in private and public schools at every level. They often have private offices so that they can have confidential conversations with students. School counselors generally work full time and have summers off when school is not in session.
Family Social Worker
Substance Abuse Social Worker
Drug & Alcohol Counselor
Special Education Teacher
Childcare Program Administrator
Mental Health Counselor
Collections With This Career
- Highest Paying Jobs With Children
- Jobs for people who like Active Listening
- Jobs for people who like Speaking
- Jobs for people who like Social Perceptiveness
- Jobs that require Social Orientation
- Jobs that require Concern for Others
- Careers for Social people
- Jobs for people who need Relationships
- Careers for Former Teachers
- Some people can't get enough of these bundles of joy, so much so that they make it their career. These are the jobs that involve children and pay well. Read More
- Discover careers that are good for people who like Active Listening. Read More
- Discover careers that are good for people who like Speaking. Read More
- Discover careers that are good for people who like Social Perceptiveness. Read More
- These careers require a high level of Social Orientation. Read More
- These careers require a high level of Concern for Others. Read More
- A collection of careers suited perfectly to social people. Read More
- Discover careers for people who need Relationships. Read More
- What other meaningful careers exist in education besides classroom teaching? Read More