What is an Administrative Assistant?
Also known as: Secretary.
Table of Contents
An administrative assistant, sometimes referred to as an office clerk, secretary, or receptionist, is someone who performs routine clerical and organizational tasks. They organize files, draft messages, schedule appointments and support other staff. Although administrative assistants work in nearly every industry, many are concentrated in schools, hospitals, government agencies, and legal and medical offices.
What does an Administrative Assistant do?
Administrative assistants use computer software to create spreadsheets, compose messages, manage databases, and produce presentations, reports, and documents. They also may negotiate with vendors, buy supplies, manage stockrooms or corporate libraries, and get data from various sources. Specific job duties vary by experience, job title, and specialty.
The work of an administrative assistant typically involves the following:
- Maintain paper and electronic filing systems for records and messages
- Route and distribute incoming mail and email
- Answer routine letters and email
- Reply and attach files to incoming messages
- Correct spelling and grammar to ensure accuracy
- Operate fax machines, videoconferencing and phone systems, and other office equipment
- Use computers for spreadsheet, word processing, database management, and other applications
- Complete forms in accordance with company procedures
Find your perfect career
Would you make a good administrative assistant? Sokanu's free assessment reveals how compatible you are with a career across 5 dimensions!
What is the workplace of an Administrative Assistant like?
Although administrative assistants work in nearly every industry, many are concentrated in schools, hospitals, government agencies, and legal and medical offices. Most work full time in comfortable office settings. Virtual assistants typically work from a home office.
Secrets Of The Administrative Assistant
So You Want To Be An Executive Secretary Or Administrative Assistant
Occupational Video - Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant Career Preview
Administrative Assistant - Deadlines & Personal Accountability
Administrative Assistant Salaries: What Are You Worth?
Administrative Assistant - Career Path
Administrative Assistant - Complex Calendar Control