What is an Administrative Assistant?
Also known as: Secretary.
Table of Contents
An administrative assistant, sometimes referred to as an office clerk, secretary, or receptionist, is someone who performs routine clerical and organizational tasks. They organize files, draft messages, schedule appointments and support other staff. Although administrative assistants work in nearly every industry, many are concentrated in schools, hospitals, government agencies, and legal and medical offices.
What does an Administrative Assistant do?
Administrative assistants use computer software to create spreadsheets, compose messages, manage databases, and produce presentations, reports, and documents. They also may negotiate with vendors, buy supplies, manage stockrooms or corporate libraries, and get data from various sources. Specific job duties vary by experience, job title, and specialty.
The work of an administrative assistant typically involves the following:
- Maintain paper and electronic filing systems for records and messages
- Route and distribute incoming mail and email
- Answer routine letters and email
- Reply and attach files to incoming messages
- Correct spelling and grammar to ensure accuracy
- Operate fax machines, videoconferencing and phone systems, and other office equipment
- Use computers for spreadsheet, word processing, database management, and other applications
- Complete forms in accordance with company procedures
Find your perfect career
Would you make a good administrative assistant? Sokanu's free assessment reveals how compatible you are with a career across 5 dimensions!
What is the workplace of an Administrative Assistant like?
Although administrative assistants work in nearly every industry, many are concentrated in schools, hospitals, government agencies, and legal and medical offices. Most work full time in comfortable office settings. Virtual assistants typically work from a home office.
So You Want To Be An Executive Secretary Or Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant - Deadlines & Personal Accountability
Administrative Assistant Salaries: What Are You Worth?
Administrative Assistant Career Preview
Occupational Video - Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant - Complex Calendar Control
Administrative Assistant - Career Path
Secrets Of The Administrative Assistant
The Basics Of Becoming A Successful Administrative Assistant
To be successful in the field, one must project a positive professional image by personal appearance, knowledge, and ethical behaviour.
Administrative Assistant Job Description
As a secretary or administrative assistant, you could be working anywhere: corporate settings, government agencies, legal and medical offices, schools, hospitals, you name it.
A Day In The Life Of: An Administrative Assistant
7:00 am: Wake up, take a shower, and prepare for work...
A Day In The Life Of An Administrative Assistant: Colleen Davie-Janes
A New Yorker since 1992 and a graduate of Boston University, I’ve been pursuing a life in film since 1991. To pay the bills and stay alive, I’ve been a temporary employee of Wall Street Services on and off since 1996...
Typical Day Of An Administrative Assistant - Job Description & Duties
I recently asked Beth, an administrative professional in a high school, to share her daily experience with our students to help them understand the typical day on the job and the duties of an administrative assistant.
The Difference Between Secretary And An Administrative Assistant
The Secretary vs the Administrative Assistant of today.. hmmm… Exactly what are the changes?
Collections With This Career
- ISFJ Careers
- ESFJ Careers
- CTE Careers
- Most In-Demand Careers
- Jobs for people who like Time Management
- ISFJ individuals have excellent analytical abilities, great people skills, and healthy social relationships. They are meticulous to the point of perfectionism, and consistently strive to make others happy. Read More
- ESFJs project warmth through a genuine interest in the well-being of others. They have the ability to bring out the best in people and want to understand other points of view. Read More
- Career Technical Education (CTE) is preparing students of all ages to help drive America’s success and vitality, providing students with the academic and technical skills, knowledge and training necessary to succeed in future careers and to become lifelong learners.
- Over the coming decades, some careers are expected to be more in demand than others. Occupations that are expected to have above-average opportunities are highlighted in this collection.
- Discover careers that are good for people who like Time Management. Read More
Find your perfect career
Take the Sokanu Career Test
Would you make a good administrative assistant? Sokanu's free assessment reveals how compatible you are with a career across 5 dimensions!Take the free career test
The Shortcut to Purpose
The new eBook from Sokanu.Learn more
Jobs in your area
- Loading jobs...